The U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) has approved an online shopping benefit for veterans that would begin as early as Veterans Day, November 11, 2017. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAEFS) and the Navy Exchange (NEX) will have online shopping websites available to certain eligible individuals, including, according to the AAEFS website:
- Active Duty or Reserve Uniformed and Retired Uniformed personnel.
- Recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
- Honorably Discharged Veterans when hospitalized or certified 100% disabled.
- Military Members of Foreign Nations when on duty with U.S. Military Service.
- National Guard not in Federal Service.
- Red Cross Personnel who are U.S. citizens, assigned outside the U.S. with the Military Service.
- U.S. Civilian DoD Employees when stationed outside the U.S.
- U.S. Citizen Employees of Firms under contract to the Department of Defense when employed outside the U.S.
- Military Transition Personnel.
- Retired Ship’s Officers and Crew members of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, NOAA.
- Ship’s Officers and Crew members of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association, NOAA.
- Dependent family members of personnel listed above.
- Contract Surgeons.
- Non-DoD Federal Departments/Agencies as determined by local commanding officer.
- Dependents of members of the armed forces, commissioned officers of the Public Health Service or commissioned officers of the
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association who have been separated for dependent abuse.
The exchanges will have products available at a discount and without a sales tax. Read more.